Choose high quality fresh tuna – fresh really does make a difference.
The first time I tried this recipe, it was immediately taken back and put on my restaurant’s menu. It became a best seller. While I no longer have my restaurant, it is a permanent part of my recipe repertoire.
Yes, it is that good. Try it, you’ll see!
Side note: You can use canned tuna for this salad if you want. While the taste and texture of fresh tuna is amazing, canned tuna also makes a tasty salad.
Squeeze the lime juice into the dressing if you are using canned tuna instead of fresh tuna.
For a complete twist on everything, substitute Salmon for tuna.
Fresh Curried Tuna Salad
1 pound (#) fresh tuna loin
Juice from 1 lime
salt and pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon madras curry powder
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
Squeeze the lime juice over the fresh tuna, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place the fish in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes – for 1″ thick piece of tuna.
- Time it more or less, depending upon the thickness of the fish.
- You want a trace of pink left in the fish so as not to over-cook it and make the fish dry.
While the tuna is cooking, mix all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Remove the fish from the oven. Cut into medium or small dice and cool.
Add the tuna to the dressing and serve as desired.
Serving Suggestions for Fresh Curried Tuna Salad
- With the salad, lettuce and tomato
- Don’t forget the sweet pickle
- Cut the top from a tomato
- Scoop out the insides
- Turn upside down on a paper towel for 10 minutes to drain
- Season with salt and pepper
- Fill with Fresh Curried Tuna Salad
- Garnish plate with lettuce, chopped eggs, etc.
My most favorite way to serve this:
Fresh Curried Tuna Salad Nicoise Style
Salad Nicoise is a classic French salad. It is presented with tuna, potatoes, green beans, eggs, tomato and a wonderful light vinaigrette seasoned with mustard.
To create this lovely salad, boil some new potatoes in salted water until done.
For this salad, I used tri-colored new potatoes: white, red and blue. It makes an attractive color contrast on the plate.
Once the potatoes are drained, dress them while still warm with Mustard Vinaigrette. Cool.
The recipe for Mustard Vinaigrette is at the end of this post
Steam some green beans until tender; dress these with the Mustard Vinaigrette white still warm. Cool.
Line a plate with lettuce leaves and a small mound of cut salad greens.
Arrange the plate with Fresh Curried Tuna Salad, potatoes and green beans.
Complete the salad presentation with Nicoise or Kalamata olives (pitted of course), tomato wedges, chopped hard-boiled eggs and cucumber and anchovies, if desired.
Salad Nicoise makes a great dinner entrée. This is one of my all time favorite meals.
If you ever find yourself in Paris, or anywhere in France, it is highly recommended you indulge in one there. They vary somewhat from region to region, but are always delicious.
I hope you enjoy making and eating Fresh Curried Tuna Salad.
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Whisk all ingredients, but not the oil, in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the oil until well blended.
- Not a Boring Tuna Salad (amixofitall.wordpress.com)
- Recipe for Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps with Capers and Tomatoes (kalynskitchen.com)
- Avocado Tuna Salad aka Heaven in Disguise (sydneyowen.com)
- The perfect hard-boiled egg (recipemenagerie.wordpress.com)
- Tex-Mex Tuna Chopped Salad Brought to You by Hungry Girl and Starkist Tuna (wegotkidz.com)