Since it is cold and raining outside, making a soup from roasted duck, kale and white beans sound good. It is time to use up what is in the refrigerator.
Roasted Duck, Kale and White Bean Soup
You will need
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced small
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 small russet potato, peeled and diced small
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup leftover roasted duck meat, diced small
- 1 cup cooked or 1-15 oz. can of white beans, drained
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and diced OR 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups roughly chopped and stemmed fresh kale
- Salt and pepper to taste (Start with 1 tablespoon and adjust to suit your taste)
Saute the onions and carrots in oil for 3 minutes, add the garlic, potatoes and thyme, stir.
When the onions are translucent, add the stock and bring to a boil.
Add the duck and the white beans, bring to a simmer.
Add the tomatoes, simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the kale and simmer for 5 minutes more.
When the carrots and potatoes are done, adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
Serve with good bread and crispy kale chips.