These spiced pecans are from China Grove, NC. A friend of our has a grove of pecans that produced a bumper crop this year. The three boys use the pecans to raise money for music instruments. So it is a great cause to support.
I look forward to the Helms Farm Pecans every year.
There are so many spiced and candied nut recipes out there, you can modify any one of them to fit your tastes. Personally, I love the sweet, salty, slightly hot flavor of these nuts. The warm spices enhance the amazing flavor of the roasted nut, the chili powder gives a slight amount of entertaining heat and the sugars make them indulgent.
Imagine these with fresh pears and bleu cheese! Now, that is an amazing platter to put out with pre-dinner wine and champagne.
Candied Spiced Pecans
Pre-heat the oven to 300°F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or use a silpat.
- 1 ounce egg white (1 white from 1 large egg)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pound raw pecan halves
Beat the egg white to soft peaks. If it is properly beaten, there will be no liquid in the bottom of the bowl.
Tip: Wipe the bowl and beaters with vinegar to remove any possible oils that may be on the surface. This will ensure a successfully beaten egg white.
While the egg white is beating, mix the sugar and spices in a small bowl.
When the egg is properly beaten, add the seasonings.
Fold in the pecans and toss to evenly coat all of the nuts. Separate any nuts that stick together.
Spread onto a lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Stir them occasionally for even roasting.
Cool, separating any nuts that stick together again after roasting.
Package and present as a wonderful gift for anyone!
Please be aware that if you put these out for a party, they will disappear fast! I suggest you save them for a small group.
- Jami Mitchell’s Spicy Pecans with Cranberries (fox4kc.com)
- Spiced Nuts With Fresh Herbs (putneyfarm.com)
- For More Than Just Pie! Pecan Halves – Ingredient Spotlight (thekitchn.com)
- Pecan Dreams (offonatangent.blogspot.com)
- homemade cinnamon sugar candied nuts. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Candy Brandy Pecans (sweetheatchefs.com)